Monday, October 5, 2009

Easy Dinner for a busy day!

Yesterday was a fun but busy day for our family, but I wanted to make sure we sat down to a healthy sunday night dinner (saturday we were at a birthday party and the kids didn't eat a lot the good stuff - it's all about balance!). I knew we would be out of the house in the afternoon and wouldn't be home until dinner time, so it meant I had to do some quick prep work during their afternoon nap. I cut a butternut squash in half and placed it cut side up in a large lasagna dish. I sprinkled with nutmeg and cinnamon, a pinch of salt and drizzled with olive oil. In the same dish I put a few sweet potatoes cut in half, cut side down. I set my oven on 'delay cook', so it would start about 45 min. before we came home. Cook this for 45 min. at 400C - you can add a pat of butter and a little brown sugar if you like. When we got home I quickly boiled a small pot of brussel sprouts (cut in half) until tender. This was served as is - very tasty. For protein, I cut a corner - I used pre-frozen turkey meatballs and warmed them up in my home-made tomato sauce. All in all, it was a great dinner, and I was happy that the little guys ate some orange and green veggies! It was quick and easy, it just took a little planning!

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor & Clinic Director
Vitality for Life Health Center
www.vitalityforlife.ca

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor, Clinic Director
info@vitalityforlife.ca
www.vitalityforlife.ca
Twitter: @NaturoDoctor
We're On Facebook!

No comments: