Thursday, February 18, 2010

'Cheesy' Popcorn

The other day I made some popcorn as a snack for my kids. They asked if I could make it 'cheesy' (they've tried smartfood brand in the past and loved it, but of course it's really not that healthy for you). My naturopathic solution was to add 2 Tbsp of nutritional yeast sprinkled overtop of the popcorn. This is a trick I learned from a nutrition professor several years back, and it's really a tasty treat. Nutritional yeast (not the leavening yeast you use in baking) has a nutty/cheesy flavor and is packed full of vitamin B12, minerals and protein. This makes for a great supplement for individuals on a vegan diet which can be low on B12.
Anyway, my kids loved it, and I was happy that they had a healthy boost from their snack!
Nutritional yeast can be found in the health food section of your grocery store.

Dr. Anna Falkowski, HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor & Clinic Director
Vitality for Life Health Center
www.vitalityforlife.ca

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor, Clinic Director
info@vitalityforlife.ca
www.vitalityforlife.ca
Twitter: @NaturoDoctor
We're On Facebook!

No comments: