Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Bean Cookies - who knew??

As I've been off on a short maternity leave with my daughter, I've had plenty of time to watch tv while I cater to my newborn nursing, cuddling, rocking to sleep etc. In fact, I've been watching a LOT of Food Network (one of my favorite indulgences). The other day I watched the Spice Goddess make some lentil cookies. The recipe looked wonderful and I have never used cooked beans in cookies. I decided to give it a try. I didn't have the same green lentils that she used, so in my first attempt at the cookies I used adzuki beans, and the second time I used mung beans. Both turned out amazing. I am assuming any 'small' bean is suitable since they're milder and easier to digest than larger beans. The first time i made the recipe I used an egg like required, but the second time I didn't (I substituted 1 TBSP of ground flax seed in a couple TBSP of warm water) and there was no difference!
These cookies are wonderful. My friend Denise dropped by the day I made them and she would vouch for these tasty cookies:)
These are a wonderful way to sneak beans into your child's diet - they are high in fiber, protein and folic acid.
Here is my recipe:
whisk or use your blender to mix the following until smooth:
1.5 cups cooked beans (green lentils, adzuki or mung)
3/4 cup butter (softened)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg OR 2 TBSP ground flax seed in 3-4 TBSP warm water (let sit 2 min, the add to mixture)

In a separate bowl combine your dry ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour (or substitute a gluten-free one)
1 1/4 cup whole oats
1/2 cup flax seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
optional: 1/2 cup pumpking or sunflower seeds

Mix your dry ingredients into the wet ones and mix together until incorporahttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifted. Spoon your mix onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, flatten gently with your hand, and bake at 350F for 22min. Remove from oven and cool at least 10 min - the cookies will harden as they cool so don't overcook them! Enjoy!

Dr. Anna Falkowski
Vitality for Life Health Center
www.vitalityforlife.ca

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor, Clinic Director
info@vitalityforlife.ca
www.vitalityforlife.ca
Twitter: @NaturoDoctor
We're On Facebook!

No comments: