Monday, August 10, 2009

Healthy Chips & Dip

As most moms know, kids like anything you can dip. The other day my 3 year old asked for salsa and corn chips (which he'd had the previous weekend at our friends house). I decided to make it more nutritious and more like a 'meal' by adding a few extra ingredients. I diced up an avocado, and added 1/2 cup of black beans into a bowl. I covered these with a mild salsa (this one had tomatoes and corn), and then gave them a gentle stir. I served the dip with organic blue corn chips. The kids LOVED it (so did I), and couldn't get enough (even my 18 month old was in on the dipping!).
This is such a great snack - the avocado is full of brain-healthy omega-3 fats and magnesium, the black beans are a good source of folic acid, b-vitamins and fiber, and the salsa is full of lycopene. The chips had a decent amount of fiber in them as well, and are far better than potato chips or crackers.
I'm definitely going to pull this recipe out again for a quick and easy naturopathic snack for the whole family! This would be great for a movie night. Enjoy!

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor & Clinic Director
Vitality for Life Health Center
www.vitalityforlife.ca

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor, Clinic Director
info@vitalityforlife.ca
www.vitalityforlife.ca
Twitter: @NaturoDoctor
We're On Facebook!

No comments: