Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Baby Food Intro - 3rd time around!

So my third child Clara is 5.5months old and is REALLY interested in foods - grabbing at anything that comes within reach of her little body. It's been 5 years since my first child had solids introduced into his diet, and i'm certainly doing things differently this time around. As a 'new' mom I fell into the trap of introducing grains as a first food, but after several years of experience, research and experimentation I'm doing things differently. The enzymes to properly break down grains (amylase) are not developed until closer to 10 months, and gluten is one of the tougher ones to break down so that one can be save for closer to 12 months.
My patients know that I'm now recommending 'nourishing foods' be introduced first - these include a big focus on healthy fats, veggies and organic meats. It's very similar to the recommendations of the Weston Price foundation.
So examples of Clara's first foods will be sweet potato with egg yolks or coconut oil, avocado, various veggies with added fats and liver (we have a frozen organic liver which we will be grating into various foods for a source of iron, vitamin A, zinc and various other vitamins). I will be updating my progess as I go, and will share my experience if I can.
Today I let Clara sample a puree of organic carrots with touch of apple, and a warm egg yolk mixed in (soft boil an egg and scoop out the runny yolk). She gobbled it up. A note about egg yolks - unlike the protein-rich whites which are not recommended until 1 year of age, the yolk is high in essential fatty acids, fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K). VERY good for the brain development in children!

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND.
Naturopathic Doctor & Clinic Director
Vitality for Life Health Center
www.vitalityforlife.ca

Vitality for Life is an integrative health clinic in Barrie, Ontario. We offer the services of a Naturopathic Doctor, Chiropractor and massage therapists.

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor, Clinic Director
info@vitalityforlife.ca
www.vitalityforlife.ca
Twitter: @NaturoDoctor
We're On Facebook!

No comments: