Monday, February 23, 2009

New Baby Products...very exciting!

As a Naturopath and mom, i'm always on the look-out for natural baby products that are safe to use on my children's (and patients) skin. One of the general complaints that I (and many other naturopaths I have spoken to) have is that even the gentlest of products are fragranced with essential oils (usually lavender, if not several other ones). These are not suitable for infants, nor children with sensitivities. Several months ago my good friend Terri-Ann started making her own moisturizer for her baby Rachel, whom she adopted from South Africa. I had been commenting on how great Rachel's skin always looks - well nourished, free from eczema, and glowing! Rachel is able to swimming in chlorinated pools, as the moisturizer protects her sensitive skin from the harsh, drying effects of the chorine (most black-skinned babies are not able to regularly visit a public pool as it damages their skin in a relatively short time). Terri-Ann made me a jar of the product and I used it faithfully on not only my kids, but on my own dry hands and feet. It worked fabulously! I quickly realized that this was something I needed to share with my patients. Knowing how natural and gentle this moisturizer was re-ignited my own passion for botanical medicine and the preparation of ointments and salves (which we learned during my years of schooling). I have been working the last few weeks on creating a product that we could properly package and distribute at the clinic, and online. This has been such an exciting endeavour, and one that I've extremely passionate about. We are very close to launching the product at Vitality for Life, so stay tuned!

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor, Clinic Director
info@vitalityforlife.ca
www.vitalityforlife.ca
Twitter: @NaturoDoctor
We're On Facebook!

No comments: