Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Detox Day 3 – yeah, this is what I remember!

Detox Day 3 – yeah, this is what I remember!
So I was too quick to be excited about the lack of headache – it came with a vengeance today. There are most certainly a number of factors involved in why I got it – last night I had a TERRIBLE sleep – I think I was awake for 2 hours tossing an turning for no apparent reason (although my mind was also very active) AND I forgot to drink my morning green tea (so possibly it’s delayed caffeine withdrawl). I also am sure it’s just the withdrawl of the various other ‘drugs’ in our diet (I’m referring to gluten, sugars and dairy mostly). My body feels great, but the headache intensified during the day. I ended up taking a nap at the same time as my boys at noon, which was great, but as I sit here it’s still there.
Breakfast – Mediclear shake with blueberries and almond milk, followed by my millet-rice flakes with raisins and almond milk.
Workout – 35 minutes on the treadmill, varying between walking on an inline and running at 6-7 intensity. Just to give you an idea of total intensity, I burned 500 cal, so it was just a mid-intensity workout. I didn’t push myself because it’s early in the cleanse and the body is already dealing with a lot.
My mistake was not having a snack after the workout, and taking the kids to Costco right after – by the time we got home and played in the snow, I was starving. Luckily I made a quick lunch – rice tortilla spread with roasted red pepper hummus (bought at Costco – it’s a good one), topped with baby spinach, peppers and cucumber). The tortilla doesn’t wrap well, but it folds fine (it’s a little different texture than the wheat ones). I had a few extra celery sticks, and a few berries and a medjool date (these are delicious plump dates, high in fiber and satisfy a sweet craving). At Costco I bought frozen mango and strawberries for our shakes, the dates, portabello mushrooms and rainbow trout.
After my nap I had a few rice crackers with guacamole (avocado and lime juice mashed together), and a few bites of fruit.
Dinner – I made a feast because I had the day off, and prepped it early in the day. I marinated portabello mushroom caps in balsamic vinegar, garlic, olive oil and tamari. I got 2 whole rainbow trout which I seasoned with crushed garlic and lemon slices (inside the fish) and baked them in the oven – 425 for 45 min.
I also baked cubed sweet potato and brussel sprouts drizzled in olive oil, sea salt and balsamic vinegar (same setting as fish). I used my Panini grill to do the mushroom and also some asparagus (it just takes a few minutes of grilling). Great dinner. I also steamed more brown rice for tomorrow.
So typically, day 2-4 are the worst, so I just need to make it through one more potentially miserable day, and then the detox reactions should be gone!
I will go to bed early tonight, because the fatigue feels so much worse when you’re detoxing!

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor & Clinic Director
Vitality for Life Health Center
www.vitalityforlife.ca

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor, Clinic Director
info@vitalityforlife.ca
www.vitalityforlife.ca
Twitter: @NaturoDoctor
We're On Facebook!

No comments: