Monday, January 11, 2010

Detox Day 8 – Strictest Diet today

Today marks the height of the cleanse with one day of nothing other than veggies, grains and fruit, and 3 Mediclear smoothies. So no dietary ‘proteins’- all come from the mediclear.
Today I’m feeling the effects of yesterday’s yoga – my body is gently hurting everywhere. Not a bad feeling, just a realization that I have muscles on various body parts that I’m not normally aware of! I was also really thirsty all day yesterday. Last night was a terrible night for us because my older son was up with a cough and fever, so we’re not feeling rested today. We’re just laying low today because Jordi is still not feeling well, which works out great for allowing some rest on my part.
Breakfast – mediclear smoothie with banana, strawberries and almond milk. Green tea. 30 min later I had oatmeal with 1 Tbsp molasses (for iron and sweetness), raisins, almond milk and chia seed.
Mid-morning I had a few strawberries and blackberries.
Lunch – mediclear smoothie (mango, strawberry and water). 30 min later I made the following:
Roasted veggies – peel and cut into large chunks: sweet potato, beets, carrots, onion. Drizzle in olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake at 425 for 45-60min (until tender).
Spaghetti Squash – cut in half, discard seed. Lay face up on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, 2 cloves minced garlic, salt and pepper. Bake at 425 60min. use a fork to scoop out the center (will look like spaghetti). Serve the roasted veggies on a bed of the spaghetti squash. This was a delicious, hearty and warming lunch.
Another Green tea.
Snack – a little of the leftover rice pudding from last night.
Dinner – Mediclear smoothie. I’m not very hungry for another full meal. I’m going to do the guacamole and rice crackers again, and then a new batch of rice pudding for tonight as a snack. I’ve been really cold, and that’s what I’m craving.
Tomorrow is back to 2 smoothies and re-introducing legumes, which is great. Today wasn’t bad however – the biggest challenge was fitting in 3 smoothies!
Ok, so here’s a brief comment about exercise while on a cleanse. It’s good to do something to help the effects of detox (improves circulation, flushes the liver and kidneys not to mention sweat glands). Intense exercise may not feel good during your cleanse – listen to your body. The detoxification process itself is taxing and fatiguing, so don’t overdo it. I was going to use my husband as a guinea pig to see what he felt like during his training while on detox (he is currently training for Ironman Canada in August); however he developed a cold the night before our detox, so has had to modify his workouts to be less intense than normal. So far he has not complained about not having enough energy for working out, but like I said he’s doing far less then normal. I certainly have felt a little below normal in terms of capacity for an intense workout. I didn’t push the speed on the treadmill (although I did a decent amount of time).


Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor & Clinic Director
Vitality for Life Health Center
www.vitalityforlife.ca

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor, Clinic Director
info@vitalityforlife.ca
www.vitalityforlife.ca
Twitter: @NaturoDoctor
We're On Facebook!

No comments: